Friday, December 9, 2011

Halo Armor Suit

     Hey guys, so I have began to work on my halo armor suit, but I can not currently find the usb cable for my phone so I can not upload any pictures yet.  Since I am not able to load any pictures I figured it would be a good time to give a quick overview of how the project will be created and why I decided to start this project.

     So the idea behind this project really started from my enjoyment of modding nerf guns.  The huge problem with the current line of nerf guns is that most of them are all reverse plunger, which cause some issues when you put powerful springs in them.  So the easiest work around is to make your own nerf gun.  This is done mostly with the use of pvc and cpvc pipe, but I wanted to create something unique.  Most homemade nerf guns end up looking something like what you see on the left.

     But as you can see, most of these guns look pretty boring.  So I figured the easiest way to kind of spice them up is to build some kind of shell to go around the gun it self.  But what kind of shell should I use?  I don't want anything that looks too much like a real gun, so I was thinking why not create my favorite gun from Halo Reach.  So I decided I wanted to try to create the Needle Rifle.  The Needle Rifle is a pretty massive size gun, which would allow me to hide all the internals of the nerf gun.

      So after spending a few minutes searching the internet to see if anyone actually had created a Needle Rifle before (no need to recreate the wheel), I came across this website http://405th.com/.  The 405th is a forum where people post designs and finished projects of not only items from Halo, but other games as well.  They create most of these objects using Pepakura, which is a method of folding paper to create items.  Most people have made a box like this sometime in their life-time.  Well that is basically how they create this complex armor pieces and weapons. Here is an example of the pepakura file for the Halo chest piece:
 

     So as you can see its a pretty time consuming project, after you cut all the pieces out you gotta glue and fold them to make the paper model.  Once that process is done, you take put a few coats of fiberglass resin on the outside of the armor, and on the inside you put fiberglass resin and fiberglass sheets.  The fiberglass gives it a lot of strength and allows you to add bondo and sand the pieces to make them look smooth.  After the fiberglass and bondo is done you can add paint and any other finishing touches you want, like LED lights etc.  The color scheme I have planned for this suit is going to resemble my Halo character.  Even though not all the armor, if any, will actually match my character.  I decided against going with the common Master Chief colors, because I am not Master Chief.  Well that is about it for this post, I will hopefully find my usb cable this weekend, if not I will find some other way to upload pics.  If you have any questions feel free to ask =).


No comments:

Post a Comment