Sunday, December 18, 2011

Halo Amor Update - Helmet

Pepakura Helmet File
So a few of you have been waiting to see this for quite a while now, its not completely done yet.  I probably have another 30 minutes worth of fiber glassing before I will be ready to move on to bondo and paint.

So I used pepakura to make the base of the helmet.  All the pieces took up about 24 sheets of card stock to print out when everything was scaled out.  It took about four hours to cut out all the pieces, fold all the tabs, and glue them together.  There are about 600 or so tabs you have to glue, and you have to wait for the pieces to dry before you can add more pieces (process is slow).

Right Side View
 I forgot to take a picture of the helmet before I started applying fiberglass resin to it, partly because I did not know where my cord for my Treo was, and partly because I was excited.  You only get about 30 minutes to actually work with the fiberglass, before it starts to get too tacky to brush on.  I probably need to put another coat of fiberglass resin on the outside of the helmet, and finish applying the fiberglass sheets to the inside. 

Back Side View

Left Side View
Inside View (before fiber glassing)

Inside View (after fiber glassing)
Front View
As you might have noticed, it is currently not possible for me to see through this helmet.  I am not sure how I am going to go about the visor for this helmet  Its between using a motor cycle helmet visor (which will probably cost around 20 bucks) or making my own.  I want it so that you can not see into the helmet, but you can see outside of the helmet.  Ive seen some people mold plastic sheets and spray them with spray paint for tinting tail lights.  It ends up giving the visor a nice almost mirror surface, and is still pretty clear to see through from the inside.


I estimate that it will probably take me a few months to actually get this helm completely finished, I have no urge to spend hours outside in the freezing cold of winter.  I defiantly do not plan on doing the wet sanding, that needs to be done before painting, while its cold outside.  Other then that, I have be working on the chest piece and a few other of the smaller pieces.  I am going to try to have the crotch piece and at least one of the boots constructed by this time next week.  Once again if you have any comments or questions I would love to hear them, and thanks for visiting!


1 comment:

  1. just look some visor tutoriels on youtube, nice job on the helmet though, better than what i can do, Awsome Keep On Going!

    ReplyDelete