Saturday, February 4, 2012

Nerf Reactor H.A.M.P Conversion

So I have had pretty decent luck at goodwill and other thrift stores over the past few weeks. I have found a lot of pistols and smaller blasters, an almost brand new Alpha Trooper, and even a Bumblebee helmet. This brings me to this weeks project, Atom Blaster Reactor
.
I came across four of these over the past few weeks, and I really couldn't decide what I wanted to do with them. I could use them as an integration on a blaster, kind of like a noob tube, but after talking to some people I decided that wasn't very practical. The Atom Blaster Reactor doesn't get good enough ranges launching the Nerf Ballistic Balls to justify trying to find some or even carry them around. So what else could I do?
 

One word HAMP, well what is a hamp? A hamp is a high airflow manual plunger, its basically similar to a slam fire blaster except is has no trigger. Every time you pump the blaster it shoots a dart, or several darts depending on your set up. The great thing about hamps are they work well with both hopper and rscb clips. The rate of fire and distance you can achieve with a hamp is pretty incredible.

Parts:
  • 1/2" Cpvc pipe
  • 1/2" PVC pipe
  • 1/2" PVC Wye (or parts to make a homemade wye)
  • 1" Coupler
  • 1" to 1/2" bushing
  • Epoxy Putty
  • Nerf Atom Blaster Reactor
First step is to pull the orange piece out of the barrel of the blaster, this can easily be yanked out with a pair of needle nose pliers.  We will not be using that orange piece or the spring that will fall out after you remove it.

After removing the orange piece and the spring, you can disassemble the back end of the blaster, this is where your plunger tube is located.  For my mod I ran a piece of Cpvc from the plunger tube to the front of the barrel.  (sorry for the lack of pictures explaining how I did this part)

To accomplish this you must drill a hole where the orange piece is on the back of the orange barrel, I used a 5/8 spade bit to make this hole big enough for 1/2" Cpvc.  To stabilize the front of the barrel I used the 1' coupler and 1" to 1/2" bushing and a piece of PVC pipe.  The PVC pipe also allows for your wye (that will be used on the hopper clip) to attach.  The coupler and the barrel (depending on what sch pvc you use) will need to have tape wrapped around them to hold them in place.


Once you get everything fitting in properly apply a decide amount of epoxy putty to hold it in place.  I put putty on both ends of the blaster where the Cpvc is to stabilize it.

At this point all you should have to do is make a barrel and decide how big of a clip you want to use.  Ive been using a foot long barrel (just because I had one already made), and a 9 dart clip.


Summary:
I can't say much about this blaster in its stock form (I do not have any Nerf Ballistic Balls), but from what I hear it launches the balls about 15-25 feet.  Ballistic Balls are probably one of the more fun types of ammo, because you can bounce them off walls and stuff, and lets be honest whats better then hitting your friend in the head with a big green foam ball?  But for practical use, carrying around of bunch of Ballistic Balls takes up a lot of space (they are about golf ball size).


As for the performance of the blaster after modification, I must same I am pretty impressed.  I get anywhere from 50-75 feet ranges depending on how fast I pump it, and can shoot off the nine dart clip in less than two seconds.  This blaster would make a great rushing blaster, what it lacks in range it more than makes up for in rate of fire.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy Mineo 'Uncomfortable' Album Listening Party Becomes Nerf Gun War Zone in the Wu Tang Clan's Hometown [RECAP]. click to investigate

    ReplyDelete